An open API service providing security vulnerability metadata for many open source software ecosystems.
Security Advisories: GSA_kwCzR0hTQS1jODVyLWZ3YzctNDV2Y84AA5Ko
Rancher permissions on 'namespaces' in any API group grants 'edit' permissions on namespaces in 'core'
A vulnerability has been identified when granting a
* global role for a resource type of "namespaces"; no matter the API group, the subject will receive
* permissions for core namespaces. This can lead to someone being capable of accessing, creating, updating, or deleting a namespace in the project. This includes reading or updating a namespace in the project so that it is available in other projects in which the user has the "manage-namespaces" permission or updating another namespace in which the user has normal "update" permissions to be moved into the project.
The expected behavior is to not be able to create, update, or delete a namespace in the project or move another namespace into the project since the user doesn't have any permissions on namespaces in the core API group.
Moving a namespace to another project could lead to leakage of secrets, in case the targeted project has secrets. And also can lead to the namespace being able to abuse the resource quotas of the targeted project.
Patched versions include releases
There is no direct mitigation besides updating Rancher to a patched version.
If you have any questions or comments about this advisory:
- Reach out to the SUSE Rancher Security team for security-related inquiries.
- Open an issue in the Rancher repository.
- Verify with our support matrix and product support lifecycle.
Source: GitHub Advisory Database
Published: 22 days ago
Updated: 22 days ago
CVSS Score: 7.2
CVSS vector: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:H/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H
Identifiers: GHSA-c85r-fwc7-45vc, CVE-2023-32194
Fixed in: 2.8.2, 2.7.10, 2.6.14